We are happy to present the new 2.25.0 release of Apache Beam. This release includes both improvements and new functionality. See the download page for this release.
For more information on changes in 2.25.0, check out the detailed release notes.
- Splittable DoFn is now the default for executing the Read transform for Java based runners (Direct, Flink, Jet, Samza, Twister2). The expected output of the Read transform is unchanged. Users can opt-out using
--experiments=use_deprecated_read. The Apache Beam community is looking for feedback for this change as the community is planning to make this change permanent with no opt-out. If you run into an issue requiring the opt-out, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org specifically referencing BEAM-10670 in the subject line and why you needed to opt-out. (Java) (BEAM-10670)
- Added cross-language support to Java’s KinesisIO, now available in the Python module
- Update Snowflake JDBC dependency for SnowflakeIO (BEAM-10864)
- Added cross-language support to Java’s SnowflakeIO.Write, now available in the Python module
- Added delete function to Java’s
ElasticsearchIO#Write. Now, Java’s ElasticsearchIO can be used to selectively delete documents using
- Java SDK: Added new IO connector for InfluxDB - InfluxDbIO (BEAM-2546).
New Features / Improvements
- Support for repeatable fields in JSON decoder for
ReadFromBigQueryadded. (Python) (BEAM-10524)
- Added an opt-in, performance-driven runtime type checking system for the Python SDK (BEAM-10549). More details will be in an upcoming blog post.
- Added support for Python 3 type annotations on PTransforms using typed PCollections (BEAM-10258). More details will be in an upcoming blog post.
- Improved the Interactive Beam API where recording streaming jobs now start a long running background recording job. Running ib.show() or ib.collect() samples from the recording (BEAM-10603).
- In Interactive Beam, ib.show() and ib.collect() now have “n” and “duration” as parameters. These mean read only up to “n” elements and up to “duration” seconds of data read from the recording (BEAM-10603).
- Initial preview of Dataframes support. See also example at apache_beam/examples/wordcount_dataframe.py
- Fixed support for type hints on
@ptransform_fndecorators in the Python SDK. (BEAM-4091) This has not enabled by default to preserve backwards compatibility; use the
--type_check_additional=ptransform_fnflag to enable. It may be enabled by default in future versions of Beam.
- Python 2 and Python 3.5 support dropped (BEAM-10644, BEAM-9372).
- Pandas 1.x allowed. Older version of Pandas may still be used, but may not be as well tested.
- Python transform ReadFromSnowflake has been moved from
apache_beam.io.snowflake. The previous path will be removed in the future versions.
- Dataflow streaming timers once against not strictly time ordered when set earlier mid-bundle, as the fix for BEAM-8543 introduced more severe bugs and has been rolled back.
- Default compressor change breaks dataflow python streaming job update compatibility. Please use python SDK version <= 2.23.0 or > 2.25.0 if job update is critical.(BEAM-11113)
List of Contributors
According to git shortlog, the following people contributed to the 2.25.0 release. Thank you to all contributors!
Ahmet Altay, Alan Myrvold, Aldair Coronel Ruiz, Alexey Romanenko, Andrew Pilloud, Ankur Goenka, Ayoub ENNASSIRI, Bipin Upadhyaya, Boyuan Zhang, Brian Hulette, Brian Michalski, Chad Dombrova, Chamikara Jayalath, Damon Douglas, Daniel Oliveira, David Cavazos, David Janicek, Doug Roeper, Eric Roshan-Eisner, Etta Rapp, Eugene Kirpichov, Filipe Regadas, Heejong Lee, Ihor Indyk, Irvi Firqotul Aini, Ismaël Mejía, Jan Lukavský, Jayendra, Jiadai Xia, Jithin Sukumar, Jozsef Bartok, Kamil Gałuszka, Kamil Wasilewski, Kasia Kucharczyk, Kenneth Jung, Kenneth Knowles, Kevin Puthusseri, Kevin Sijo Puthusseri, KevinGG, Kyle Weaver, Leiyi Zhang, Lourens Naudé, Luke Cwik, Matthew Ouyang, Maximilian Michels, Michal Walenia, Milan Cermak, Monica Song, Nelson Osacky, Neville Li, Ning Kang, Pablo Estrada, Piotr Szuberski, Qihang, Rehman, Reuven Lax, Robert Bradshaw, Robert Burke, Rui Wang, Saavan Nanavati, Sam Bourne, Sam Rohde, Sam Whittle, Sergiy Kolesnikov, Sindy Li, Siyuan Chen, Steve Niemitz, Terry Xian, Thomas Weise, Tobiasz Kędzierski, Truc Le, Tyson Hamilton, Udi Meiri, Valentyn Tymofieiev, Yichi Zhang, Yifan Mai, Yueyang Qiu, annaqin418, danielxjd, dennis, dp, fuyuwei, lostluck, nehsyc, odeshpande, odidev, pulasthi, purbanow, rworley-monster, sclukas77, terryxian78, tvalentyn, yoshiki.obata